Monday, April 26, 2010

Valley of Fire

On April 17th we went to the "Valley of Fire" state park for Jaron's cub scout pack meeting. We have never been there, so we were excited to go.

When we first got there, the boys listened to a presentation of artifacts that have been found there and learned about the people who used to live there. The boys thought it was cool. After they were done we took some pictures and then headed up to a picnic area.




While we were eating lunch we saw a chipmunk trying to find food, so Jantzen threw some Cheetos his way. Eventually he found it and before we knew it, Alvin, Simon, and Theodore were there scrounging for food. Jantzen thought it was cool. Jaron didn't get to see it because he took off to explore the rocks with the rest of the scouts. We also saw a couple lizards running around on the rocks.

After we ate, Jaron got his computer belt loop award. He already had it, but said that's okay, he'll have two.



While the boys played on the rocks, Jaedyn just chilled out in her stroller. She was so good, despite the heat. It was pretty warm that day up there. She had fun just hanging out with mom and dad and when it was nap time, she cuddled with her daddy to go to sleep.



Jaron and Jantzen found some petroglyphs by where we ate lunch. They were pretty cool to see. You have to look closely on the rocks to see them. I didn't get a close enough picture.



After some playing, and a few falling scares from Jantzen (he almost gave me a heart attack), we decided to go for a ride and see the rest of the park. The road we drove on was the same one that the Autobots (Transformers) drove on in the movie. We saw lots of beautiful rock formations that were different colors, it was really cool.

Here I am with Jaron and Jantzen (he was being a stinker and didn't want to get his picture taken) at "Fire Canyon/Silica Dome". I thought it was cool that the rocks were white and red together. Jaron was wondering why the rocks were like that. We found out that the red parts of the rock is from iron that has seeped into it, which changes it's surface to a red color.


I would like to go again when Jaedyn's older and go for some hikes on the trails. It will be fun to explore more areas, but for now we had a good time.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

How fun- I was sad I missed it- Too many things on the same day!! I will have to show Carter some of the pictures you took.

lcdiaz said...

That looks like a fun place to go and hike around. We wanna do stuff like that this summer. Your kids are so cute! I'm jealous of the hot weather :) we need some haha.

Unguren said...

I have never been there but it looks very cool.