Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Day At The Circus!

The circus was in town this last weekend so we decided to take the kids. Since Taylor is staying with us until the end of the school year we took her with us as an early birthday present. It has been years and years since I have been and I think that every child needs to experience the circus at least once in their life. We got some cute pictures of the kids and the animals. We all (except for Josh) took turns wearing the hat that came with our cotton candy. Jaron chowed the cotton candy down really fast. It's funny...he won't eat licorice, but he'll eat cotton candy.

There was a lot of acrobatics and clowns, but I think the kids liked the animals the best. The clowns did a lot of magic tricks that were pretty cool. Jaron's favorite thing the clowns did was at the beginning when they played musical chairs. It was pretty funny.



The first animals to come out were the elephants doing their parade. Jantzen got very excited! The elephants and the dogs were his favorite part. After they went back inside the horses and zebras came out. Both groups went into separate areas and did stunts. The zebras, although really cool to look at, were pretty boring. They didn't do much, but the horses were fun to watch.



Then the dogs came out. I don't remember dogs being in the circus when I was little, but they were hilarious to watch. They were dancing in dresses, jumping through hoops, jumping over hurdles (which some of the dogs purposely knocked them over), and went down slides. The funniest dog they had was a little yorkie. Everything they wanted him to do he would do the opposite. The funniest was the slide...they had the dogs climb up the stairs and then go down the slide, but when it was the yorkie's turn he went up the stairs and then turned around and went back down them. Then one of the trainers pretended to chase him around the slide to get him back up there. Jantzen couldn't stop laughing.


The elephants came back out to do their tricks. It was amazing how these big animals could do the things they did. I remember them being one of my favorite things in the circus when I was little.




After the elephants were done came the tigers. They put up a large cage that they were in with their trainer. I'm glad...I wouldn't have wanted one of them to jump in the audience. That trainer is pretty brave to be in there with eight tigers. They did some fun tricks, but some of the tigers seemed to get really mad at each other and their trainer. Josh thinks it was part of the show because one of the tigers didn't want to do a trick and started growling at the trainer (almost like he was giving attitude...like a child). The trainer got in his face and was giving attitude back. The very last tiger got to dance with the trainer.




Anytime the ring master would ask for audience participation with dancing Jantzen was very happy to go along. He really got into everything. It was cute to watch him. When the show was all over Jantzen asked where the monkeys were. He was really hoping there would have been some doing tricks. I told him they were in the audience...he started looking around for them and said he didn't see them. I had to point out that he was one of them and Jaron and Taylor were the other two monkeys. He thought that was funny.



We had a great afternoon/evening at the circus. I'm glad we were able to go and take our boys with us to enjoy it. After we left we went to dinner to celebrate father's day...we let Josh decided where he wanted to go, we ended up going to Red Robin. It was yummy. Then we went home to have another popcorn movie night. It was a great weekend, so here's a BIG thank you to Josh for working so hard so we can enjoy fun outings like this together as a family. You're the GREATEST!!

4 comments:

Lara said...

Yay for the circus, I totally wanted to take Dallin, but it didn't work out this year, maybe next time! Looks like fun!

Frenchy! said...

Looks like the circus was fun! I love the purple "Merlin" hat! Last time we went to the circus...we were in Utah and in the NOSE BLEED section! We were literally HIGHER than the Trapeez act and in the rafters, it was funny!

Leisa said...

So, was it wear green to the circus day? ;) (well except for Josh of coarse)
I miss the circus. I need to take my little one next time they come...even if it's just for my entertainment.

Love the ultrasound pictures in your previous post. As a Mom I don't think I could ever have enough of them.

Kati said...

I tried to get Josh to wear his green shirt, but he didn't want to...party pooper!!