Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It's Not "Swine Flu", Thank Goodness


Jantzen woke up again this morning with a temperature of 102.7 so I decided it was time I take him to the doctor. We were lucky to be able to get an appointment today...we got the last available spot they had.

Before the doctor came in Jantzen was being really cute. I think he was a little nervous being there. He doesn't go to the doctor very much, usually just for his well check ups. He kept talking about the room we were in (each room has different Disney characters painted on the walls). We were in the Lady and the Tramp room, which Jantzen was excited about because he loves dogs. He also talked about how to spell his name and my name and told me his address. He then started asking when the doctor was going to be there because he wanted to go home. After a few minutes he decided he wanted to lay on my lap and get a back rub while we waited.

When the doctor got there she checked him out. She had mentioned that he might have the Swine Flu...I was hoping not. It turns out that he has strep throat, poor little guy. I feel really guilty that I made him wait three days before I took him to get checked out.

I got his antibiotic filled and when I went to give him his first dose for the day I found him asleep in Jaron's bed. Apparently while I was gone getting his prescription filled he had gotten both Taylor and Josh to read him some stories while he laid in Jaron's bed and then he fell asleep. I didn't want to wake him because he needs all the rest he can get. I'm just glad that we finally know what's going on with him and that we can get it taken care of. Only 9 more days of his medicine and all should be well.

On the bright side, with him not eating anything the last three days, he hasn't lost any weight. He has actually gained 1 1/2 lbs. since he cut his forehead a few months ago, so that's good. It makes me feel good that he will be back to himself soon, but I am really going to miss him wanting to cuddle all the time.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Poor guy... strep is never fun. Don't feel bad, I absolutely would have done the same thing you did. Only if my kids have a fever for a few days without it going away will I take them to the Dr. So I would have waited just as long as you did. Kids always have a way of keeping you guessing. Hopefully his meds will help him feel better quick and he'll be back to his old self in no time!

Unguren said...

Have I mentioned that it sounds just like our house?!

Leisa said...

AWWW! It's so sad when little ones get sick. It's interesting that she told you she thought it was the Swine Flu before she even diagnosed it. That dang stuff.
Hopefully he gets better soon. Try to keep yourself well.

thecustercrew said...

Strep is so miserable. Hope he feels better soon.