Monday, May 31, 2010

Red Rock Field Trip

Last Wednesday Jaron had his one and only field trip for the year. He go to go to Red Rock Canyon. I went along as a chaperon because I've never been there. We took a school bus to get there and I made the mistake of sitting in the back with all the kids while the other parents and teachers sat up front. The kids were so loud, my ears were ringing during the whole field trip! Jaron, again, didn't want to sit by me on the bus, he sat by another girl. That's right, my son likes to sit with the girls instead of the boys. This was another (in the pink shirt below) girl he likes in his class. I guess he has to find someone else to replace Kristin when she moves.

When we got to Red Rock, the kids listened to a presentation about the history of the canyon and the rocks, wildlife, and fossils they can see there. I think they were mostly interested in the fossils.


After they were done listening we all got to go see the turtles that live there including "Mojave Max". Jaron loved it ans wished that Jantzen could've been there with us because he loves turtles. We'll have to bring him back sometime. Lucky for us the turtles were out strolling along...slowly!

Here's Jaron watching "Mojave Max". He asked if we could get a pet turtle and I broke his heart by telling him "NO!"




Our next stop was getting to see the different colors of rocks that were formed as mountains. The kids got to learn why some rocks are red and others gray.



When we were done learning about rock colors we headed to a mountain that has the fossils on it. It was a bit of a hike for the kids, but they did great and were very excited. The fossils were a little hard to find, but after looking around for a little while Jaron and I found a big fossil of a sponge. Jaron had a magnifying glass to look at the fossils closely that made it fun for him. He didn't want to leave, but he had to.







Finally it was lunch time for the kids. We went to another area to have a picnic and can you believe Jaron didn't want to sit by me for lunch? That's okay, I enjoyed some adult conversations with the teachers.



We didn't get a lot of time for lunch because the bus driver was being a stinker and rushed us so we could get back to the school by 1pm. After getting loaded on the bus, Jaron had to grab another quick drink from the Camelback and then we were off.



We all had to sit in the same seats as on the way up, so again I had to sit with all the noisy kids. That was the longest ride of my life! It's probably a good thing I sat back there because some of them started playing "truth or dare". I had to make sure they kept it at least PG. Jaron was too exhausted to play or talk, so he just took a nap, or pretended to as he claims.


I had fun on this trip with Jaron and I'm so glad I have to opportunity to be a part of so many things that he does at school.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I have never been there either- kind of sad to have lived here all this time and not been there. Looks like fun though. That's pretty good he even lets you go with him, I don't think my boys would want me to come now.

Katie said...

How fun! I miss going on field trips with my kids while they were in elementary. Where does the time go?