Monday, September 26, 2011

Diet Coke + Mentos = Fun!

Every month for pack meeting Jaron's Cub Scout pack does some kind of an activity after the awards are all given out. This month's activity was probably the funnest one for the boys. They did experiments with Diet Coke and Mentos. The Cubmaster asked the boys if they knew what would happen when you combined these two things and the boys had no clue, but they got to mix them and find out first hand.

Each den got a chance to participate in this experiment and Jaron's den went first. Jaron helped attach a tube to the top of a 2 liter of Diet Coke...

Photobucket


Photobucket

Then he dropped in about seven Mentos inside the tube...

Photobucket

Then everyone backed away and Jaron's friend Ethan pulled the cord that dropped the Mentos into the Diet Coke, and the waiting began...

Photobucket

All of a sudden the Diet Coke burst out of the bottle like an erupting volcano...(as you can see in the background, Jaron thought it was AWESOME!!)

Photobucket

Each of the other dens got a turn making the Diet Coke explode and it never got old to any of the boys. Jaron, Keagan, and Ethan even tried to catch some of the Diet Coke in their hands (that's the three of them in the middle with their arms stretched out). I'm not sure if they actually caught any or not, but they sure had fun trying...

Photobucket

I think that the boys all want to try this at home now, but at our house it's a sin to waste a good Diet Coke (according to Josh). So, because of this, Josh decided to finish off what was left in the bottle...Mentos and all! Josh said it was actually pretty good (a little minty), I'll take his word for it...I'm not a fan of Diet Coke!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I think Josh might be hitting that diet coke a little too hard- alhtough I agree with him, diet coke should not be wasted.