Sunday, March 29, 2009

Grace Runs In The Family...Not From Their Dad!

Last week was a pretty eventful one for us. With Jaron off school for track break we have been keeping very busy. The boys played with friends all week and Jaron has been scrubbing the grout on our tile to earn money for our Disneyland trip. He hasn't been enjoying it but will be happy to get paid when he's done. Josh has offered him a bonus if he gets that and the base boards cleaned before we go. I would do it, but I hate to do it. That's why we are paying Jaron to do it. Anyways, the week was going good until Wednesday, that's when the owies came. The boys were playing with Caitlyn on her trampoline while I was enjoying Subway and an adult conversation with Amy. Not too long after they went out Jaron came in holding his face and crying. He said that him and Jantzen had bumped heads and he got hurt. I didn't think it was a big deal because Jantzen wasn't crying, only Jaron so I offered to kiss it better (that usually works) but he didn't want it this time. When Jaron took his hand away from his face he had a HUGE red bump. Poor kid! It looked like it really hurt. We gave him some ice to put on it so it wouldn't get any bigger and sent him back out to play. The next day he woke up and it was already turning into a bruise. We told him that he was going to look good in pictures at Disneyland.

Here is a picture of Jaron's face the day after and then about four days later. You can see that the bruise is starting to heal itself. Jaron had to pull his sad face for the picture. This is the same face that I tell him a bird will poop on his lip if he keeps pouting.



We thought that Thursday was going to be better, but it wasn't. It was Jantzen's turn to get hurt. First of all he slipped on some water that Jaron accidentally spilled on the tile while he was cleaning it. Jantzen hit his head pretty hard and cried a lot. Luckily they both have hard heads and they recover quickly. Later that night while Josh was at work he got hurt yet again (my poor boys get their clumsiness from me). They were running around upstairs and Jantzen tripped and fell right into a cabinet in the toy room. I heard him screaming so I went to get him and give him comfort. I didn't look at him, I just picked him up and took him to my room so I could sit on the bed (he's a heavy boy and I can't lift him very well these days) so I didn't notice at first the blood oozing from his head. When I did notice it I freaked out! I laid him on my bathroom floor to apply pressure to it while Jaron got my cell phone to call Josh. Jantzen had a deep cut on his forehead that wouldn't stop bleeding. All I could think of was when this happened to Jaron when he was two. He fell on a friends driveway and split his head open and had to get three stitches. Josh was home within a minute of when I called him so we could take Jantzen to the doctor. I don't want to be one of those overly paranoid moms but I wanted to make sure he was taken care of if he in fact needed stitches.

We took Jaron to grandma's house and headed to the Quick Care, of course the two by our house were both closed (one we missed by one minute) so we went to the hospital. By then Jantzen had calmed down and was doing really good. He was still bleeding a little and you could see the hole in his head pretty good. We had a long wait at the ER, as always, so Jantzen got to watch a movie on Josh's iPod. At one point he was asking for "his Jaron". He missed him and wanted to talk to him so we called and let them talk for a minute. When we got called in they took his vitals and had me check his info and it was then that Jantzen told the nurse that his name starts with a "J". He was being really cute with the hospital staff. He was hungry so they let him pick out something to eat. He picked chocolate pudding and an apple juice. When the doctor finally came in he checked Jantzen out. When he was looking in his ears Jantzen informed him that he has boogers in them just like his nose and his leg (he has a scab on it from Monday at Jace's house when he fell in the hole where their trampoline used to be...I know, this is sad). The doctor got a good laugh at that. The doctor said he would need to have his cut glued together. Thank goodness! We didn't want to have to hold another child down to get numbed for stitches like we did with Jaron. I think that was more torture for us than it was for him. It took a really long time again for the doctor to come back to get Jantzen all fixed. In the meantime Jantzen was getting really impatient. He kept saying that he just wanted to get his head glued so he could go home and go to bed. I don't blame him, it was after 10pm. We were all tired. By the time we left the hospital it was almost 11pm. Jantzen fell asleep on the way home. Josh had a message from Jaron on his cell phone. He was very concerned about him. Like I have mentioned before, Jaron is the best big brother ever!

We called grandma to let them know how Jantzen was doing and to see if Jaron was still awake so he would know everything was OK, but he was already out for the night. We did get told that the reason Jaron had called about Jantzen was because he was very, very worried about him. Apparently, Jaron told grandma that when he cut his head "he almost died" and he didn't want that to happen to Jantzen. That wasn't true, but it was cute that he thought that.

Jantzen's head didn't look too bad until Saturday when he was messing with it and made it bleed a little. I hope it heals okay. It's hard to keep track of him all the time to make sure he doesn't touch it. I'm sure it itches. It will take over a week for the glue to fall off. Again we thought pictures at Disneyland are going to look cute with the boys and their owies. I think that Jantzen wants so much to be like his big brother that he has to have a scar on his forehead just like him. He did miss getting it in the middle like Jaron's though. I'm glad they are both okay and I hope that this week is a better one.

This is what Jantzen's head looked like the next day. It looked a lot better. You can see the glue good here. Then I took a picture of him today before church to see how it was red from the blood after he messed with it.



Josh thought it would be funny to take a picture of the boys pretending to fight since it was kind of both their faults that they got hurt and because they like to play fight a lot.


Here is a flashback picture of Jaron when he got his stitches. He was only two years old. WOW, he was so little!



2 comments:

Lara said...

Kati, I found your blog from Hannah's! I hope that's ok! Be sure to come check ours out (heizzyfam.blogspot.com) I can't wait to find out what your having! Oh and I am adding you to my friends list if thats ok.

Unguren said...

Man that is a tough week. Emergency rooms are the worst. It sucks when you have to sit there for so long.

They glued Laney's head when she split it open and it looks ok now. So I am sure that Jantzen's head will heal just fine.