Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fall Carnival...2013

Last night was the annual fall carnival at Jantzen's school.   I'm still in the PTO this year and, again, I was put in charge of the haunted house.  I really don't enjoy being in charge of the haunted house, but I do like how it all turns out in the end.

This year Jaron decided he wanted to be in the haunted house again because he had so much fun last year scaring all the kids.  He stuck with his "Ghost Face" costume and Kennedy decided to join him this year as a psycho butcher...

 photo DSCN7897_zpsb202e6b3.jpg
 
 The haunted house "only" took about 11 hours total to put all together...you see why I don't like being in charge of it?!?!  It's a very exhausting project!

Here's how it all turned out...

This was the entrance...the werewolf and witch were only there for a minute to greet everyone.
 
 photo DSCN7882_zps8c74d429.jpg
 
 This was the first hallway and corner you had to walk down (I made it a little more like a maze this year).  When the kids were walking through it, it was almost completely dark...that made it a little scarier than it was last year.
 
 photo hauntedhouse1_zpsb80320c0.jpg
 
This was the next couple areas.  We had a lot of strobe lights and black lights in there as well...
 
 photo hauntedhouse2_zps042df39a.jpg
 
 I think this (the first picture) was my favorite part of the haunted house this year.  It was a life size person that was sitting in an electric chair.  There were lights, sounds, and fog that would come out of it, although we weren't allowed to use the fog part of it.  Last year we tried to use a fog machine in the haunted house and we set off the smoke alarms in the school.
 
 photo hauntedhouse3_zps6b9674bf.jpg
 
This was the last section of the haunted house...
 
 photo hauntedhouse4_zps5d45650f.jpg
 
 As a whole, I got a lot of compliments on the haunted house.  I was told it was "cooler" and "scarier" than last year.  There were a few issues though.  Every so often I'd go check on things in it to make sure all was going good.  It turned out that there were several kids causing problems.  Jaron complained that kids were hitting and pushing him and some kids were even tearing things apart inside.  At one point I had to shut the whole thing down so I could fix things that were being ruined.  After I was done with that, I went out and lectured everyone that was waiting in line to get in.  I was really frustrated that some kids had no respect for anyone or anything, especially because Jaron was being mistreated.  I really don't think he'll want to be in the haunted house again next year, which is sad because he was having so much fun.

I had to divide my time between the haunted house and cake walk (I was in charge of both), and I also had to take pictures for the yearbook (I also put that together every year), so I was doing a lot of running around and I didn't get to be with my kids the whole time.  Josh was still at work, so Sadie came and took Jaedyn around to play games, Jantzen went around mostly by himself.

I was surprised when Jantzen found me and showed me the goldfish he won.  He was so happy because he's tried so hard for the last two years to win one of these and he finally got one.
 
 photo DSCN7901_zps6eaaeedd.jpg
 
 
 photo DSCN7902_zps8d3e7507.jpg
 
 Jaedyn quickly decided that she wanted a goldfish of her own too.  She tried really hard to win, but she wasn't successful...
 
 photo DSCN7908_zps39d360cd.jpg
 
 Then Jaedyn and Jantzen moved on to the cupcake walk...
 
 photo cupcakewalk1_zps65629c9f.jpg
 
Jaedyn won on the first try.  She picked out a chocolate cupcake...
 
 photo DSCN7912_zpsedca8f18.jpg
 
 Jantzen was jealous, so they both tried it again.  Jaedyn won again, but Jantzen didn't.  She was sooo happy to have two chocolate cupcakes...can't you tell?!?!
 
 photo DSCN7914_zpsb1f8a4a5.jpg
 
 The third times the charm I guess because that's when Jantzen finally won!
 
 photo DSCN7915_zps79058cc1.jpg
 
After some sugar, Jantzen met up with his friend Jose for some more fun...
 
 photo DSCN7918_zpsf8ced846.jpg
 
 When I wasn't around, Jaedyn finally won a goldfish...she was super excited!!!
 
 photo DSCN7919_zps17112a35.jpg
 
 The kids took a break to enjoy some yummy shave ice...I stole a little taste too...it was good!
 
 photo DSCN7920_zps2b488c1b.jpg
 
Then they enjoyed their dinner...nachos and soda!  I'm such a good mom!
 
 photo DSCN7921_zps9a0f5aae.jpg
 
Ghost Face totally photo-bombed this picture...kind of creepy, huh?!?!  Seeing that mask really makes my jaw tired!
 
 photo DSCN7922_zps430c3a6e.jpg
 
Josh finally got there to help take Jaedyn around to play games, so I took a little bit of a break so I could watch my kids play some games too...
 
 photo carnivalgames_zpse6060268.jpg
 
 Jantzen and his friends were loving the prizes they were winning...
 
 photo DSCN7938_zps07fc495b.jpg
 
 ...while Jaedyn enjoyed getting her face painted with Sadie and Haley...
 
 photo DSCN7939_zps16329309.jpg
 
 
 photo DSCN7941_zps0590ed43.jpg
 
 
 photo DSCN7942_zpsba93d952.jpg
 
Such cute girls!!

My friend, and fellow PTO board member, Angie was kind enough to take a picture of our family plus one (Sadie).  I was happy to have at least one picture of me with them, even if I was all sweaty and tired from the whole event...
 
 photo P1140377_zps9e0f42a4.jpg
 
 Josh took all the kids home and I stayed to help clean everything up.  It only took us a couple hours to get everything cleaned up so we could go home.  
 
Before we left, we got a group picture of all of us PTO moms.  This was our reaction to the carnival finally being over...yay!!! 
 
 photo pto_zps6d8fc8ce.jpg
 
As exhausting as it is putting carnivals together, I love it that my kids always have a good time.  It really does make it all worth it...I'm still tired today though!

No comments: