Friday, February 11, 2011

A Day at Hoover Dam

On Saturday we took our kids along with Jason, Amber, and AJ to see Hoover Dam. The last time we went there was six years ago and Jantzen wasn't even born yet, so he was pretty excited to go. Plus Josh was excited to see the new bridge they built over the dam that takes you into Arizona...me, not so much!

We drove over the new bridge first, but driving over it wasn't anything too spectacular like Josh thought it would be. Looking at it from the dam itself was another story. It was long and so high up in the air, there's no way I will ever walk over that thing! When we got down to the dam, we ventured out to let the kids see all they could. Of course we had to get a picture of all of us under the Hoover Dam sign to prove we were really there...


One of the first things Jaron wanted to do was rub the feet on this statue. Its believed to bring you good luck if you do that...let's hope it really works!


Next, we headed over to look over the walls of the dam. I never get too close to these walls even though they are really thick...it still scares me! Josh always freaks me out when he holds the kids up to see the water. I know he holds on to them tightly, but I still get very nervous that they'll fall. As you can tell, I'm deathly afraid of heights and I think Jantzen is a little too. He wouldn't look over the wall very much either...poor kid! Jaron, on the other hand, loves it! I'm not quite sure yet what Jaedyn thinks about it.



After looking over the walls for a little bit we just went for a little walk to explore some other areas of the dam. We ended up back by one of the parking lots and to our surprise we met some new "little" friends there. Jason and Jaron squatted down and the little squirrels came right over to them. Jaron thought that was so cool.


Then, Jaedyn wanted to see what all the hype was about and she tried to get the little squirrel. Luckily she didn't, you don't know what kind of diseases they are carrying, but she was having fun looking at them.



We decided to be nice and give the little critters some snacks. Jaedyn was happy to share her "whales" with them, so I crushed some up and threw them on the ground. The squirrels went crazy eating them and the kids loved how close they got to get to them.


When we were all done feeding our new friends, we wandered some more. Jaedyn wasn't too happy that she had to be held (someone didn't put her stroller in the car), so I gave her some snacks to help make her a little happier. Of course, her dad had to sneak some too.


This is how Jantzen was for most of the day at the dam. He kept complaining he was tired and he wasn't too happy about me wanting to take pictures of him, so guess what I did...I took pictures of him.


But, as soon we started walking again he discovered how much fun it is to walk along the cement curbs in a parking lot. His reaction was, "Mom, take my picture while I'm walking like this". Now, why can't he be that enthusiastic about getting his picture taken all the time.


We then went and looked at some some of the dam and water...and again, Jaron loved it and Jantzen didn't.




Here's a shot of the new bridge. It doesn't even look like it would be any fun to walk along, but it is pretty amazing that something that big can be built.


Jaedyn still wasn't that happy, but we tried to get the best pictures of her that we could. It just happens that she was crying or had an ornery face in most of them.


She did get a little happier when I was holding her. She's a total "momma's girl"!


I love this one of my boys...they're all smiling!


And, of course, I had to get a picture of me and Josh since I'm rarely in any pictures. I need proof that I really do exist.


After we were done walking around the dam, we let the kids play for a little bit. Jaron found this round structure and thought it would be a fun place to play...


Jantzen just wanted me to sit down by him and relax...


Then, after seeing Jaron and AJ having fun running around, he decided to join them and they all ran around like wild animals!


While all this was going on, Jaedyn was just hanging out with her daddy. She was having her own fun making him walk up and down the stairs with her...


I did finally get the boys to settle down long enough to get a picture of them all together...such cute boys they are!


Jaedyn stopped for only a second to say cheese and get her picture taken. The wind kind of bothered her a little bit, so she wouldn't stay in one place for very long.


Before we left the dam I saw these plaques with the astrological signs on them, so I thought it would be fun to get the kids' pictures taken with their sign...




Then we left, but before we could go home Josh really wanted to go walk along the new bridge. I had no desire to go with him, so I waited in the car with Amber and the kids while Josh, Jaron, and Jason went up to explore it. I really didn't think Jaron would actually walk along it, let alone take pictures of it, but he did and he loved it!

Here's Josh and Jaron on top of the new bridge (I love the sunglasses Jaron)...


And a cute picture of Jaron taking a picture with his phone (he's on the right...the little guy with the cool green glasses)...


Here's one of Jason (don't you like the matching beards Josh and Jason are sporting?)...


Here are some random pictures Josh took while he was on the bridge. I was so worried that he would drop my camera over the edge, but thankfully he didn't. He got some really good shots that show you how far up they really are. Again, I'd never do that...have I mentioned how afraid of heights I am? I'm a baby, I know, but these pictures are the only way I'm going to get a feel of what it looks like from the top of that huge bridge!


It was such a nice day to spend at Hoover Dam, the weather was perfect minus a slight breeze and the kids had a good time.

2 comments:

Lara said...

Looks like SO much fun! I still can't believe how low the water is. When I was growing up it was WAY fuller than it is now. I need to go down there with Neil sometime.

Unguren said...

I have not seem the bridge completed but it looks awesome. I am sure one day we will go back.