At first, he caught a big lizard and while we tried to get a box to put it in, it got away. That's not what made him cry, he was actually having a lot of fun at this point.

What happened next is what made him cry. After the first lizard got away he went to catch another one. As Jaron went to push the net against the wall, the lizard tried to escape and he got caught between the hard plastic on the net and the wall...the poor little guy got his head smashed in and it killed him instantly. (This is where the lizard fell on the ground. If you can see him, his head is flat!)

Jaron is such a kind hearted kid, so the first thing he felt was instant sadness. Not only was he sad that he accidentally killed this lizard, but he was really sad because it was a baby. His eyes quickly filled up with tears, it made me want to cry with him. He held the baby lizard in his hand and told him he was so sorry. Josh and I told Jaron that it was just an accident and it was okay, but that he just needs to be careful and maybe not try to catch the babies.

I told Jaron that if it would make him feel better, he could bury the baby lizard. He quickly got to work on that. He buried the lizard in the same place where he fell to the ground after his accident. He then asked me if lizards can be resurrected. I told him I'm sure there's a special place in heaven for all of God's creatures.

Jaron even made the lizard a headstone. I loved what he wrote on it...he named him Rango and made sure to let everyone know that he died in a "tragic accident"...he's such a good kid!

He quickly changed Rango's burial site to include flowers, and a glass case. He wanted it that way so you could see little Rango...

Here's a close up of Rango in his grave...look really close and you can see him...

After Jaron was all done with the burial, he saw that Josh and I were watching him and he quickly started crying again, I felt so bad for him. It took a lot for me to hold back my tears. I was just so sad because he was so sad. Josh quickly went to give him a hug and reassure him that it was fine, he'd be okay. He also told him that it makes him happy that he's so sad about it because that means that he's really sorry for what happened. If he was happy and excited about killing this baby lizard, then we'd worry about him and tell him it's not okay.
A few days later, Jaron went to go check on Rango and saw that his body was gone. He came running inside and said that it's been three days and he thinks he's been resurrected. I just gave him a big smile and said, "Maybe he was". That made Jaron so happy!


2 comments:
Oh! I've always told you I thought Jaron had a big heart!
So sweet.
Post a Comment