Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Blue & Gold...2014

Last night Jantzen got to go to his very first "Blue & Gold Banquet" as a Cub Scout.  He was pretty excited because this time it was all about him and not Jaron.

This years theme was "Invention Convention".  Jantzen came up with his cake idea all by himself.  He put together one of his Hero Factory figures to go on top.  I baked a double layer chocolate cake, then Jantzen and Jaedyn decorated it with M&M's...

 photo jantzblueandgoldcake.jpg
 
  Here's the finished product, Jantzen was super excited about it...
 
 photo DSCN8713.jpg
 
 We headed over to the church to decorate for the banquet (I'm in the primary presidency, so we're in charge) and on the way there Jantzen's cake had a few issues.  I don't know if it was because I put too much frosting on, that it was a double layer cake, or that Jantzen was holding it funny, but the layers started sliding off of each other.  I stopped the car and tried to fix it, but it didn't work out so well and I didn't have any tissues in the car, so I had to drive with chocolate frosting all over my hands...it wasn't easy or fun!! When we got to the church, I got a knife and fixed it, but most of the M&M's on the side ended up under the frosting instead of on the outside...oh well!!!!  Jantzen was still excited about it...
 
 photo DSCN8714.jpg
 
  Here's how we set up the food for the banquet...
 
 photo blueandgoldfood.jpg
 
We set up a nacho bar so the boys could "invent" their own dinner.  We also had dry ice in the drinks to make them look like some sort of a potion.
 
Here's the family, plus Elijah, getting ready to eat dinner.  I felt bad for Jaron because I had just taken both him and Jaedyn to the doctor the day before and we found out that they both had bronchitis, so he still felt like crap (he never gets sick, so he doesn't know how to handle it).  Jaedyn seemed to be okay.
 
 photo DSCN8716.jpg
 
 Let the inventing begin!!...
 
 photo DSCN8719.jpg
 
 Mmmmm, these nachos are gooood!!!
 
 photo DSCN8724.jpg
 
  Crazy boys!
 
 photo DSCN8720.jpg
 
 Jantzen took one of the light bulb decorations from off the table and pretended that he was having a great idea...it made me laugh!
 
 photo DSCN8723.jpg
 
  Before the night was over, I got a couple pictures of Jantzen with his Cub Scout Pack...
 
 photo DSCN8726.jpg
 
 
 photo DSCN8728.jpg
 
 ...there are some crazy, wild boys in this group!!

We put together some science experiments for the scouts to do as an activity, these were Jantzen's favorites...
 
 photo blueandgoldexperiments.jpg
 
  He got to make a cup sound like a chicken by adding a paper clip and some string and then he got to make his own lava lamp.  He thought they were pretty cool.

Jaedyn hung out with her daddy and his phone while Jantzen experimented.  She seemed to be feeling a lot better than Jaron was.
 
 photo DSCN8734.jpg
 
  Jantzen had to scan his hand before he left the banquet...
 
 photo DSCN8732.jpg
 
 
 photo DSCN8733.jpg
 
  The last experiment the boys got to participate in was the Mentos and soda one.  They all LOVE this one the most!
 
 photo DSCN8736.jpg
 
 Can you find Jantzen in this picture????
 
 photo DSCN8737.jpg
 
 (I'll give you a hint...look behind the flowing soda)

After the soda experiment was over, we went back inside to give the boys their awards for the cakes they made.  Jantzen's cake got the "Most Heroic Cake" award...
 
 photo DSCN8738.jpg
 
...then we ate it for dessert.  He should have gotten an award for the yummiest, most chocolaty cake.  His cake was the first one to be all eaten.

Jantzen had so much fun at his first "Blue & Gold" banquet.  He's already looking forward to the next one.  I'm hoping I won't be in charge of that one too.

No comments: