After we got our picnic spot and unloaded everything, we enjoyed a yummy lunch that consisted of Subway sandwiches (which Josh almost left back at home), chips, drinks, fruit, homemade chocolate chip cookies, and some other yummy snacks. Let's just say our tummy's were very satisfied.
Jaedyn still isn't walking on her own yet so we brought up some blankets for her to play on while the other kids ran around and played. She hates the grass at home so I knew I wouldn't have to worry about her crawling off the blanket into the dirt. I think she was loving the cooler weather too...just check out that happy smile!
Jaron and Jantzen didn't waste any time building their super cross track in the dirt that they make every year. It's funny how they always remember to bring their dirt bikes to play with. They also made a pile of sticks in case we wanted a fire, not that we could have one there even if we wanted to. Every time we moved our chairs out of the sun, the boys would move the pile of sticks so they would be close to us.

Even though Jaedyn couldn't go off the blanket to play with the other kids, she still had friends to play with. Both Avery and Rylee kept her company for part of the day.

After hanging out for a little bit the boys all wanted to go on a hike up the mountain, so I took Avery with me and we all headed up together. The boys were having a blast hiking on the trails, playing fun games together while Avery and I just followed behind having a fun girl conversation. When we finally caught up to the boys, we took a breather on a log before heading up further.
What a bunch of cute kids...and why is it that my kids are always the ones posing funny or making weird faces and gestures?
After a short rest on the log the boys took off again up the trail. Avery and I followed behind them for a little while, but then this old lady was getting tired so I told Avery we were heading back down.

Avery had to give the boys a quick hug before we went back down...it was sooo cute!
When Avery and I got back down from our hike we didn't see anyone at our picnic site. Apparently while we were gone a guy got hurt pretty bad while playing football with his dad. He fell into a ditch and snapped his foot completely sideways, it looked so painful...the poor guy! Lucky for him, Neil was there to help him out until the paramedics arrived. It's nice to know there was someone around who had the proper training to handle a situation like that. He even knew more than the paramedic did on how to splint the guys foot, how scary is that? In all the years we've been coming up to Mt. Charleston for picnics, we've never seen an injury quite like this one. We were all sure to tell the kids how to carefully play after that.
The boys came back down a little bit later and decided they needed some Jaedyn time, so they played toys with their little sis whom they had been neglecting all day. Don't ask me what Jantzen was doing with that lid...I have no idea!
I think Jaedyn was getting tired of being on the blanket and wanted to get off, but there was wood chips all over the ground and she liked them about as much as she likes the grass, which isn't at all. Being the smart girl she is, she figured out a solution to her problem...just dig them out of her way, who cares who's behind her (Jantzen). It was the funniest thing watching her dig. She was doing it just like a dog and was throwing it all on to Jantzen. He kept brushing all the dirt and wood chips off the blanket and Jaedyn would just keep digging and throwing more on it. Not to mention she was laughing while doing this...funny girl!
Here's my little dirt magnet! Why is it that no matter where we go Jantzen always manages to get his face all dirty? I understand that we're in the mountains, but he looks like he purposely smeared dirt all over his face and he loves it. I guess he takes after his mom, I was the same way when I was younger. My mom said I could walk into an operating room clean and come out filthy dirty.
I had Jaedyn sitting on this chair while we cleaned some things up to get ready to go home and Rylee wanted to get up there with her. They looked so cute together in their almost all matching outfits, and no, Lara and I didn't purposely coordinate them.
I love how Jaedyn was poking at Rylee like she was a toy. Then, after a few minutes on there together Jaedyn got sick of sharing the seat and tried to push herself and Rylee off it...she's such a bully, I wonder where she learned that from.



I managed to get a family picture before we headed home, not without any complaining though. They just all have to deal with it because I'm the mom and I said so! Because of this, it took a few shots before I got a decent picture without any weird faces or poses.
(Nevermind mine and Jaedyn's hair...it was windy!)
And to make Josh happy, I got a picture of just the two of us. Okay, so he didn't really want it, but I made him because, like I said earlier...I'm the mom and I said so!! It turned out cute because he actually smiled. It's so hard to get him to do that in pictures.
The ride home was a lot quieter than the way up and this is why...
...I think Jantzen was completely pooped out! He played a ton and burned all his energy by 4pm. Why can't he do that at home? He usually wears me out up until bedtime, he has so much energy! I think it's funny that it's always him that falls asleep on the way home. And, for some reason he always forgets to use his neck pillow...that doesn't look comfortable.
We all had another fun Labor Day picnic in the mountains this year. It was nice to have good friends to enjoy the cool weather and fun conversations with. We all, including the kids, had a great time. I'm so happy to have such awesome friends to get together with since we don't have family close by anymore. Thanks guys for the fun memories!


No comments:
Post a Comment