Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Edible Christmas Trees

Instead of decorating gingerbread houses this year, I decided to have the kids make their own Christmas tree out of ice cream cones and candy. The gingerbread house never gets eaten, and I thought a tree would have a better chance at being devoured. When I told the kids we were going to do this instead of houses this year, they were excited.

We got all the decorating items ready and starting frosting the cones. I, of course, frosted Jaedyn's tree, but I made Jaron and Jantzen frost their own...they did an awesome job at it!

Photobucket

Notice how Jaedyn had to taste test the candy to make sure it was okay before they could use it to decorate...

Photobucket

Jaron is quite the perfectionist when it comes to decorating with frosting. He seems to really enjoy it...

Photobucket

It was fun watching Jantzen carefully place each piece of candy on his tree, he was so focused...

Photobucket

Jaedyn started out decorating her tree with M&M's and she was doing a good job for about one minute, then she decided it was more fun eating the candy than sticking it on a frosted ice cream cone.

Photobucket

Jaedyn was also being kind of a stinker about the candy, she was VERY possessive of it. Anytime one of the boys would go to get some, she'd yell at them and grab it so they couldn't get any. She just wanted it all to herself so she had more to eat.

Here's the decorating results...

Jaron used gel frosting to make garland on his tree, then he used M&M's as ornaments and made a star on top out of chocolate chips.

Photobucket

Jantzen used M&M's and Smarties as ornaments and he also made a star on top out of chocolate chips.

Photobucket

Jaedyn's tree ended up only having M&M's on it as ornaments...only because I put most of them on it. If it were up to her, there wouldn't be any candy on it, it would all be in her tummy!

Photobucket

Now the Christmas trees get to sit on the counter and slowly be picked at until there's nothing left of them.

Photobucket

I think this tree idea turned out fun for the kids, so I think it'll be something that we'll do every year for Christmas.

No comments: